Tampa Bay Buccaneers come into a game that is very winnable but also will tell us a lot about the direction this team is going in for the 2012 season. The Kansas City Chiefs arrive to Raymond James Stadium off a home loss to the Baltimore Ravens 9-6 with a 1-4 record.
Last week they had a strong performance vs Baltimore rushing 50x for 214 yards (4.28 YPC).
The Kansas City Chiefs didn’t miss a beat when starting QB Matt Cassel was knocked out of the game and back-up Brady Quinn came into the game and almost lead them to a game winning TD. (Called back on a penalty)
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive keys to the game:
- The Chiefs are very effective at angel blocking on the OL and rarely straight-up block. The Buccaneers need to get penetration into the backfield and not allow Charles time to pick his holes otherwise it will be a long day.
- On run plays the backside DE needs to be ready the Chiefs tend to chop block him down. Setting up a possible backside run by Charles.
- Buccaneers need to go after the football when tackles are being made the Chiefs have lost 10 fumbles this season. (19 Total Giveaways for a -15 worst in the NFL)
- Another play the Chiefs ran successfully last week was a weak-side run pulling the strong side OG to lead through the hole. Our LBs need to make sure they fill that hole and meet the OG at the line.
- With 57 targets/ 31 Rec- 405 yards for the season Dwayne Bowe needs to be kept in check with his 13 YPC.
- Last week Chiefs ran for 179 rushing yards in the 1st half. Buccaneers defensive game plan seems pretty simple stop Charles and make Quinn throw would be a winning combination.
On offense the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are facing Kansas City Chiefs D that is allowing 121 Yds/Gm rushing which is 22nd in the league while allowing 29pts a game. The Buccaneers offensive keys to the game:
- Chiefs play very aggressive to the strong side of run plays. The Buccaneers RB’s need to not force a run play if nothing is there but look for cut back to the weak side of the D. (Cut back is there for big gains as well as counter play runs would be very effective)
- With the Chiefs LBs tight on the LOS there are quick passing plays available but Freeman needs to be confident and accurate on WR Quick Slants/Screens- TE Down N Outs.
- With Freeman being accurate on quick passes the Chiefs defense will be suspect to big plays over the middle of the field behind the LBs.
- Use FB Lorig in pass game (Week 1 Carolina – 4 Rec/21 yards )
This is a Kansas City team that should not be taken lightly and without an effective defensive game plan this could be a long day for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. When considering the week off the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have no reason but to come into this game refreshed and prepared with solid offensive and defensive game plans.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 24 Kansas City Chiefs 16
Richard J Dudkiewicz Jr (@Rook33)