The Houston Texans went into Week 14 at 11-1 with a clear inside track on the AFC South title and likely the #1 seed going into the playoffs. Unfortunately, the New England Patriots weren’t interested in letting Houston coast through the end of the 2012 season. The Pats rolled over the Texans in a 42-14 blowout on Monday Night Football. Now the Texans are sitting at a not-quite-as-certain 11-2 going into Week 15.
No one expected the Indianapolis Colts to be where they are at this point in 2012. To be at .500 would be respectable, but they keep finding ways to win games. The team is young and have a lot of road to cover, but they’ve shocked the NFL world with their success this season. After their Week 14 victory against the Titans the Colts are now sitting at 9-4, 2 games back in the division.
The fate of the AFC South is directly in the hands of the Texans and Colts in the next three weeks. The Texans are the clear favorites, but there is now at least a chance that the AFC title can slip from their grasp. Will Houston continue to slip? Will Indy continue to find ways to win all the way to an unlikely title? Below are the AFC South playoff scenarios going into Week 15.
- Houston clinches the AFC South with a win over the Colts in Week 15
- Houston clinches a 1st round bye with a Week 15 win, New England loss or tie, and Denver loss.
- Colts clinch a playoff spot with a Week 15 win over Houston
- If Indy wins out, then they win the AFC South.
- Indy wins AFC South if they beat Houston in Week 15 and 17 and lose to Kansas City in Week 16 AND Houston loses out.